Self-sponsorship Business Route Overview

A group of people in suits and ties standing together.

The UK doesn’t offer a “self-sponsorship visa†however, it provides different means to work in the UK while sponsoring yourself. These routes include the Skilled Worker, Innovator, and Start-up visa. The Innovator and Start-up visa routes are now grouped together under the immigration category ‘Innovator Founder Visa’ which opened in April 2023 for non residents to come to the UK to set up a business. It effectively replaces the Innovator route and Start-up visa, and is now the primary visa category for foreign entrepreneurs looking to set up a business in the UK.

The self-sponsorship visas are for foreigners who want to start or invest in another UK business. All business visa categories work differently and have separate eligibility criteria. For instance, the Skilled Worker permit usually requires that you work for a UK company.

However, for self-sponsorship, you must register your proposed business and get a sponsor licence. Through your sponsor licence application, you will obtain the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), allowing you to run your own company. It is not so straightforward and its advisable to obtain legal advise if you wish to proceed on this route.

In the case of Innovator Founder visa, it has to be a new business idea, and you should have received an endorsement from an authorized body in the UK. The endorsement body can either be a UK higher education institution or a business organisation that previously supported UK entrepreneurs.

Generally, Irish citizens don’t need any of the self-sponsorship visa options or the EU Settlement Scheme to work in the UK.

Contact us if you require advise on the explicit details of each visa and how they work.

Convenient Pricing

Jan Manuel Solicitors operates   fixed fee prices for cases and you will be informed at the onset once we have completed an initial assessment with you how much our fee is for your case. The costs vary according to the complexity of the case, and you do not pay for the initial assessment of your case when you come to the first appointment and you are under no obligation to become our client. If you decide to become our client the time spent in the first consultation will form part of the fixed fee for the case. You will pay a deposit in order to have ‘a retainer’, sign a contract between us and you, and before we submit your application, or conclude your case, you will pay the balance due. If the case is ongoing you will be issued with interim bills to pay towards your fixed fee costs.

On some occasions you will be charged an hourly basis, you will be advised in advance if this applies to you. The fixed fees does not include disbursements.  Disbursements are expenses that we pay on your behalf including but not limited to barrister’s fees, experts reports, Home Office fees and Court/Tribunal fees. We will only incur disbursements on your behalf with your consent. All disbursements are in addition to the fixed fee.

We are offering a first free initial consultation. All you have to do is provide your details on the contact page and we will call you.  After the initial call, if you wish to proceed with obtaining further advice, we will arrange free of charge first Zoom consultation to complete an initial assessment of your case.


from £150

Application under Immigration rules

Visit visa for tourism, medical, family

Visit visa (complex)

Visa as domestic servant

Ancestry visa

Visit visa for tourism, medical, family

Applications under the Immigration Rules Appendix FM Family members

Leave to Enter or Remain with a partner (non-complex)

Settlement with a Partner

Settlement application for a child (indefinite leave to enter)

Leave to Enter or Remain as a Parent of a Child in the UK

Dependant Relative

Applications under the Points-Based System


Sole Representative

Entrepreneur Extension

Settlement for the above categories

Sponsorship licence

Leave to enter or remain/ settlement (Main Applicant)

Student visa  – entry clearance application as a Tier 4 (General)

Application for Extension of Tier 4 (General) Visa

Parent of child in school (General) Visa

Graduate Visa

Religious worker/Youth Mobility Scheme

Dependants of The Points based system

Application made with the main applicant

Application made independently of the main applicant